Sunday, March 31, 2013

Vanuatu: An Unexpected Connection


Last week I experienced one of the most beautiful countries God has ever created. For most Nationalities, Vanuatu is a name that no one seems to recognize. Situated in the South Pacific along side the high school football star, Fiji, the humble jazz band player, Vanuatu, awaits its chance to transform your mind as to what a tropical vacation should be about. 
I remember being so determined to travel to Fiji before I even got to New Zealand. It was known as one of the best islands in the world and renowned for honeymooners. I had it high on my list from all the hype. Soon after arriving in NZ I was presented with the trip to Vanuatu with my Kiwi friends. I initially wasn’t so sure, but decided to go as it was a good deal for a week getaway. As the weeks and months went by, the trip came closer and closer. I wasn’t all that excited about the trip because we were going during their rainiest month and again, my selfish mind was thinking, “well, it’s not Fiji!” Now that I have been on the trip, I couldn’t have been happier with the way things turned out.
The country is much more rustic than what I have heard of Fiji and Vanuatu is a place where you truly experience the culture and the people of the country instead of just lounging around your 5 star hotel as most do on their tropical island vacations. I decided to immerse myself as much as I could in the community while I was there. I wanted to connect with the people and get to know their culture.
Upon my arrival I met a lady named Joy who is friends with Tonya at the Kimi Ora Resort.
We met up a few times that week and I was able to get to know a bit more about the people and had some fun getting to know the locals. Interacting with the local children is one thing that brings me the most joy while I am traveling. They humble my spirit and remind of how simple and joyful life can be with little to nothing. We are given so much in America and have endless opportunities, yet these children are grateful for the ability to go to school, play with their friends, and get a lolly (candy) as a gift.
Before watching a fire dancing show, I was able to connect with some of the local children who were watching from behind a gate. Joy brought me over to the group and I introduced myself and began handing out lollies, giving high fives, and dancing with them. They even sang two songs to me about Jesus! Love love LOVE! They made my heart so full. I cannot ignore that my heart feels like this when I am around children living in this kind of environment. I believe that God has future plans for me in missions working with these children whether it be in Vanuatu or another country.

Another part of their culture that I really enjoyed was browsing their 24 hour market. Women run their own vegetable and fruit stands 24 hours a day for a way to make a living. We got some amazing food and also drank lots of fresh coconut water! Mmm mm! At one end of the market were women and men cooking up a storm! Each cook had their own little “restaurant” with a table dressed in bright colorful fabrics and menus listing beef stews, local fish and chicken curries. The meals came with big portions of rice, vegetables, and meat for only $5. I ate at these markets 3 different nights and got to know one cook named Joanna. She was always happy to see me as I was to see her. J

My trip also included a few touristy excursions including a fantastic trip to Hideaway Island that featured some of the best snorkeling in the world! Beautifully colored tropical fish everywhere! The patterns and colors on these fish make me want to create a fashion line. J There was also an underwater post office, the only one in the world, and I postmarked a waterproof postcard to my mom that I hope she receives!
Towards the end of the week I abseiled the 150 foot Cascades waterfall. It was an adrenaline pumping experience and so amazing. The sensation of hanging down on the rocks and feeling the water falling on your face is unforgettable.

All in all, Vanuatu is a country that should not be ignored. It is a vibrant place with beautiful people and gorgeous scenery. No matter where you travel to, I encourage you to explore outside of your resort. As long as you use common sense when you are traveling, you will be safe. Talk with people about where to venture to and their cultural etiquette. For instance, you may not be able to enter a village unless you have spoken with the chief, which we had to do each time. Get to know the people. Learn about what their struggles are and how they live day to day. Rejoice in their celebrations whether it be attending their church service or watching a traditional performance. We can learn a lot from each other. Expand how you see the world and the people that inhabit it. Taste and see that it is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment