Monday, September 2, 2013

How Living Outside of Society’s Expectations Changed My Life


I recently read an amazing article that talked about the quarter life crisis. After reading over the symptoms, I wasn’t surprised that I was feeling exactly what they were talking about. Feeling lost, questioning my path and thinking of how I pictured my life at this point when I was in my early 20’s and how it has actually paned out. At 20, I thought by 23 I would be in a serious relationship, pursuing a career and by 26 I would be married and expecting my first child. I am now 27, single, and living life as a nomad, traveling the world to discover and explore what fuels my soul. Do I get lonely and sometimes wish I had met the man God wants for me by this point? Yes. Do I sometimes feel out of the loop when I see all of my friends posting pictures of their babies on Facebook? Yes. Do I question my choices when I realize I had several opportunities for amazing jobs that I choose to put on the back burner? Yes.  Indeed, the path that I have chosen has not been one that many people back home have admired or agreed with. Living outside of society’s definition of “normal” is often seen as rebellion and an escape from something. For me, it is neither of these. It is more about satisfying a deeper desire that has been placed in my soul. The desire to value unique experiences rather than material objects and multiple degrees coupled with heavy loans (don’t get me wrong, I believe in a good education, I even hold a degree and I’m still paying off loans, but I have learned that it isn’t the only pathway to living a successful life). Our society’s way of thinking can sometimes dictate our lives and how we should live them in order to achieve success and happiness. Though I know many people my age who are content with their lives of 9-5 careers, raising a family and owning their own house and car, I am starting to realize that even though I could want these things at some point, right now, I am all about living a life of discovery. As I explore this beautiful world and get to know the wonderful, diverse people who inhabit it, I am inspired and focused on living an extraordinary life. I wasn’t always confident when thinking about a life of travel, but the steps that I have taken have gradually built up a newfound confidence that has allowed me to begin fulfilling my dreams. As I embark on this journey, my hope is to be able to inspire others to discover their true calling. Even if you are unsure what that full picture is, it’s okay. One small step in the direction of that dream can open you up to possibilities you have never imagined.
Now, I want you to take 10 minutes and create a list of your top 3 dreams or goals. Which one is holding the number 1 spot? Now what is keeping you from attacking it? Share here and let’s encourage one another to reach it!

Embracing the Unknown Together,
Erica


Take a minute and check out my website designed to inspire you to set off on that adventure you've always dreamed of!
www.thirtythree.org/projects/discovertheunknown


1 comment:

  1. Loved this post! Reminds me of...

    “Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    with your one wild and precious life?”
    ― Mary Oliver, New and Selected Poems

    ReplyDelete